Monday 23 September 2013

Monday Moan 65



WANT  TO KNOW WHAT I THINK?
Amongst the deluge of email that appears in my inbox every day I spotted one asking me if I wanted to join a panel called Shopper Thoughts, run by Tesco apparently.  I joined and have been filling in short questionnaires every few weeks when they ask me.
 
Recently I was asked to complete a questionnaire online next time I was in my local Tesco.  I tried, but failed completely as the online form did not appear as promised when I logged on.  I tried again and still no success.  So I called the helpline number provided. This took me to Tesco Customer Services, and although the person I spoke with had never heard of Shopper Thoughts, her supervisor said I needed to call their internet helpdesk on a different number.  The internet helpdesk said they knew nothing about it and I should call their customer services ……… .  
 
Undaunted, I approach the customer information point in the shop.  Oh yes, they had heard of it because another customer had been in earlier that day and had asked the same question.  That customer had then called the customer services number and been advised that Shopper Thoughts was a scam and they should ignore it.
 
Imagine my surprise then, when I check with Tesco online and discover that Shopper Thoughts was launched by Tesco in 2009 and gets plenty of mentions, including on their web pages for investors.
 
I’m very happy to be contacted by Tesco to give my thoughts on all this if they want them.




WALLY FOUND
Political spin doctors tell their masters how important it is to use the current ‘key message’ at all opportunities.  Make sure you manage to refer to it in every interview so that people are in no doubt what they are supposed to remember from amongst the things you have said.
 
Ed Miliband has taken all this to heart.  The current key message is that people should not be taken in by improved economic data but should realise instead that there is a cost of living crisis.  
 
Yesterday’s BBC London news programme had a piece about how the Labour Party in Harrow had managed to split into two and, in the process, lose control of the Borough Council to the Conservatives. Ed was asked for his views on this change in leadership and his response must have brought  tears of joy to the eyes of his spin doctors – “you always get particular issues with local councils, but the point I want to make is that people should vote Labour if they want someone to tackle the cost of living crisis”.
 
Brilliant execution.  Nonsensical response to the question.  But all delivered with his new determination to say the right thing and to say it with a Gordon Brown-like smile on his face.
 
Best of luck with the unions this week mate.
 

 

ACCESS – BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT
Since October 2004, the Disability Discrimination Act has required companies and organisations providing services to the public to ensure that they offer reasonable access to disabled people. In many cases this means ensuring that the building within which the services in question are provided is itself accessible to all.
 
It’s not easy to work your way through the mountain of helpful guides produced on this topic, like the 360 page code of practice produced by the Disability Rights Commission (described as a 'practical guide for small businesses), but I’m pretty sure it means something a bit more appropriate than this ……………..

 

 
 

SUNDAY NIGHTS
Downton Abbey has returned.  

Oh joy.




 




 
The Earl and Countess of Grantham still seem the least likely couple to be in bed together since Eric and Ernie.

 






And Lady Mary is still searching for her facial expressions.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed - although I reserve the right to behave grumpily when I read them